OMG. YUM. Wohoo! These are just some of the sounds you’ll be hearing at your party after the guests have devoured these piquant, cheddar-oozing treats.
Split or fry whole to satisfy even the pickiest friend.
- 12 jalapeño chillies
- 150g cream cheese
- 100g grate Pilgrims Choice Extra mature cheddar
- 20g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Take one whole chilli and using a small sharp knife make an incision along the length without cutting all the way through.
- Open up the cavity and using the end of a teaspoon scrape out and discard the seeds and the membrane. It’s very good idea to wear gloves when you’re preparing chillies in this way, and make sure you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Repeat with all the other chillies.
- Mix the cream cheese with the Pilgrims Choice cheddar, season with salt and pepper then use it to fill the chillies.
- Push them gently together and wipe off any excess.
- Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes
- Roll the stuffed chillies first in the flour then egg then breadcrumbs then repeat so they get a good double coating.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Carefully lower the chillies into the oil using a slotted spoon and deep fry in batches for around 2-3 mins or until deep golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil.
- Once the chillies are fried season them with pepper and salt.
- If you fancy making halved chillies’ once you have stuffed them, pop each one onto a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180c for 15 minutes, they should be just bubbling over.
- Serve straightaway!