- For the caramel, in a heavy based frying pan pop in the sugar and the water and heat until it starts to bubble. Make sure to keep an eye on it and don’t stir.
- Once you have a caramel colour, pour in the cream, it will bubble and fuss a bit but just swirl the pan gently and let it simmer.
- Now pop in the apples, they will only need a few minutes to soften as the sauce is very hot
- Stir in some cinnamon and set to one side.
- Put the fruits of the forest in a bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, give a stir and leave to sweeten the fruit.
- Heat the grill.
- Toast the bread slices and top with the sliced cheese, and melt under the grill,
- Add a spoonful of the apple mixture and top with a slice of bread.
- Cut in half.
- Pop onto a plate and add a spoon of the forest fruits
- Drizzle on some maple syrup and a dusting of icing sugar
If you have any caramel apples left you can pop them in the fridge and they will last a week.