Snack like a king with this cheddar-oozing recipe that’s guaranteed to make your tastebuds feel like royalty with its intense, heavenly flavours.
This recipe is great for a party. Even if it’s a party of one. *Hint hint*
- 1 cauliflower finely chopped
- 2 courgettes grated
- 100g Pilgrims choice Mature cheddar
- 3 eggs beaten
- 100g plain flour
- 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges to serve
- A hanks of chopped parsley
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper
For the relish
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 8 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 50g light brown sugar
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- For the relish, soften the onion, peppers, ginger, garlic and chilli in the oil in a large saucepan.
- Once softened, tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.
- Cover and simmer for 30 mins.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sultanas. This relish will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Put the flour into a large bowl with plenty of seasoning and gradually whisk in the eggs to make a smooth batter.
- Stir in the cheese, lemon zest and some of the parsley, then stir in all of the cauliflower and the courgette.
- Pop your oven on low so you can keep the fritters warm while you cook in batches.
- Warm the vegetable oil in the pan, then spoon on some mixture to make roughly 10-12cm round fritters.
- Fry for 3-5 mins until golden underneath and the batter just looks set on the top, then using a fish slice flip the fritters over and press down with the back of the slice to squash any big cauliflower bits and flatten the bottoms a bit.
- Cook again for 3-5 mins until golden, then transfer to a parchment-lined tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve the warm fritters on a large plate with the pepper relish(warm or cold-your choice)and the lemon wedges and sprinkle over the rest of the parsley.