Don’t let this exotic dish intimidate you. Actually, don’t let anything intimidate you. Be strong and bold like the taste of Pilgrims Choice Mature cheddar.
If you plan to heat the dish up next day, make sure it’s stored in a safe place, hidden from other cheddar lovers.
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3 cm-piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, roots and leaves chopped
- 1 pack of lamb mince
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 fresh lemon squeezed
- 2 slices of Pilgrims Choice mature cheddar (20 in total)
- 280g wholemeal flour, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp of ghee
- Yoghurt and chopped coriander, to serve
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and coriander roots. Cook for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add lamb, garam masala and turmeric and cook for a further 10 minutes or until mixture is browned and dry.
- Stir through coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Place 280 g flour and 1 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Pour in 220 ml warm water and mix to a soft dough.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Return to bowl, cover with a damp cloth and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 10 golf ball-size pieces.
- Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and roll out each piece to form a thin 20 cm round.
- Combine 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp warm water in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine mince mixture and eggs.
- Shape 1 cup mixture into a square in the centre of each chapati, lay on the 2 slices of cheese per flat bread.
- Fold in sides to enclose filling and seal with flour paste.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Working one at a time, cook chapatis for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining chapatis and ghee.
- Serve with yoghurt mixed with chopped coriander.