Healthy Heuvo Ranchero
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 red peppers thinly sliced
- 2 fresh red or orange chillies
- Olive oil
- 1 large dried chilli finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes diced
- 1 can of Pinto beans
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Pilgrims Choice Cheddar cheese , to serve
- Get a large frying pan (make sure you’ve got a lid to go with it) on a high heat and add several good lugs of olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, peppers, fresh and dried chillies, bay leaves and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and cook for 15 minutes, or until to softened and caramelised, stirring regularly.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the Pinto beans.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to a medium heat and cook for a further 5 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- When you’ve got a nice thick tomato sauce have a taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Sprinkle on the fresh tomatoes and lay them over the top of the mixture.
- Use a spoon to make small wells in the tomato stew, then crack in the eggs so they poach in the thick, delicious juices – try to crack them in as quickly as you can so they all get to cook for roughly the same amount of time.
- Serve immediately with hunks of fresh crusty bread. Delicious!