A great kebab is only great when you get the perfect layer on layer of amazing flavour. Achieving greatness only by the melted cheese addition.
You can thank the @Foodbusker for this ultimate recipe, we defiantly are!
For the lamb:
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 10-20 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 50 grams dried apricots, chopped
- 50 grams sun blush raisins
- 2 kilos leg of lamb
- 2 red onions
- 2 red peppers
For the houmous:
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 flatbreads
- Handful of parsley leaves
- Handful of picked dill
- Handful of mint leaves
- 350 grams Pilgrims Choice Mature Cheddar, grated
- 50 grams za’atar to garnish
- To make the marinade, in a pan over medium-high heat, toast the coriander and caraway seeds to release their aroma, then grind them down in a pestle and mortar. In a bowl, combine the seeds with the lemon zest, smoked paprika, olive oil, garlic and dried apricots and raisins.
- Make small incisions in the lamb in a crisscross pattern then slather the marinade all over the lamb. Set aside for 2 hours or, for best results, overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180 C. Slice the red onion and peppers in half and lay them onto a baking tray. Place the lamb on the side and roast 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the houmous: Add the chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor along with the lemon juice, garlic, salt, tahini and water and blitz until smooth.
- When the lamb is cooked, set aside to rest for 30 minutes minimum, with a kitchen towel over it, and roughly chop the peppers and red onions. Once rested, slice the meat from the bone, don’t worry about getting thin slices, hunks are perfect.
- To assemble, preheat oven to 220 C. Spread houmous on each flatbread, topping it with chopped peppers and onions. Add a slice of lamb on top, sprinkle with Pilgrims Choice and finish with the herbs. Roll up and blast in the oven for 90 seconds to melt the cheese.