For the Fishcakes;
- 300g Salmon, cooked and flaked (leftovers?)
- 4 Large Potatoes, peeled and chopped Cook (Total) 40 Mins
- Zest of a Lemon
- Handful of Flat Leaf Parsley, coarsely chopped
For the Cheesy Centre;
- 20g Butter
- 1 tsp Plain Flour
- 80ml Milk
- 50g Pilgrims Choice, Lighter Mature/Extra Mature, grated
For the Crumb;
- 120g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Medium Free Range Eggs, beaten
- 100g Plain Flour
- Vegetable Oil for Shallow Frying
- In a Saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat, stir in the flour and cook out for a few minutes. Gradually add the milk stirring continuously until thickened and add the grated cheese.
- Pour the sauce into a ice cube tray and pop in the freezer.
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and allow the excess moisture to steam off for a couple of minutes.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes and stir in the salmon, lemon zest, parsley and season generously. Divide the mix into 8 equal portions and form around a cube of the frozen cheese sauce, pop into the fridge to firm up for 10-15 mins.
- Dip the chilled fish cakes into the flour, then the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs. Repeat for the rest.
- In a heavy bottomed frying pan heat 2cm of oil over a medium heat. Working in batches fry the fishcakes for 3-4 minutes each side until crispy and golden. Serve with a green salad.