- Start off with the brisket by putting coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and peppercorns in a frying pan and toast over a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Once cooled, pop the spices to a pestle and mortar and crush to a powder. Add the sugar, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and mix together.
- Score the beef with a sharp knife and rub that spice mix all over the joint, inside and out.
- Now roll it all up and tie securely in several places using kitchen string. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 150C. Place the brisket in a deep roasting tray and pour the beef stock around the outside. Cover the whole tray with foil to prevent any moisture escaping.
- Place in the oven to cook slowly for 6 hours, occasionally checking that the liquid hasn’t evaporated. Add a bit more water if you think it looks low.
- After 6 hours the beef should be soft and tender. Take it out of the oven and leave to rest under foil for 30 minutes.
- Right, now for the rest! Pop the grated carrot and sliced cabbage in one bowl and sliced red onion another. Divide the white wine vinegar between the two and leave to sit for 20 minutes, we love this superfast pickle process.
- Now it’s time to build these bad boys. We like to fill the pittas with the beef then add Pilgrims Choice Lighter pieces between the meat and pop into an oven for 5 minutes, to melt the cheese. Mmmm.
- Don’t forget to add in the lettuce, pickled cabbage and carrot at the bottom. Lastly top with those quickly pickled pink onions.
Add any other sauces you fancy and dig in!